I love trail running and want to share my knowledge of tips and techniques I have learned over the years. All of the strength work has been specifically designed in conjunction with some of the country's most knowledgeable physiotherapists to reduce your chance of injury.
A bit about your Trail Running Coach
1st Female 4th overall - Ultra Trail Gold Coast 500km
1st Female 3rd overall - Down Under 135miler (225km)
1st Female and course record - Anzac Ultra 150km Solo
1st Female and course record - Buffalo Stampede Grand Slam (137km)
I have run and competed in multiple events across the country and have in-depth knowledge and passion for trail running. Passing on this knowledge is also a passion of mine, I enjoy nothing more than helping and watching people smash their goals.
This workshop will be completely different from other running workshops that have been run in the Newcastle region. We will be covering different topics and going through techniques targeted specifically towards trail running.
Designed to be fun, informal, interactive and useful to those from a newbie just starting out to accomplished athletes looking to reinforce or freshen up their technique and all those in between.
Date: Sunday 15 March 2020
Old coach and picnic area below electric BBQ's
Please bring a chair
- Morning tea included (gluten-free option included)
- Free Resistance Band
- Start of Day ACTION Plan
- mental strength
- goal setting
- reverse engineering
- running techniques
- video analysis
- hiking techniques
- specific trail running techniques covering both downhill & uphill
- full body strength session
We will be running approximately 3 to 5km of mixed trail, this will not be fast and will be more a stop-start so we can do some practical work out on the trail
- compulsory gear
- Emergency and Trail Apps
- Wet weather gear
- Thermal wear
- head torch
- plus much more
For those who have signed up to compete in Ultra Trail Australia (UTA) &/or The Brisbane Trail Ultra (BTU) event/s, save time and unnecessary nervous energy by having your gear conveniently inspected at the workshop.
All complying gear will be issued with an official BTU &/or UTA Gear Checked Certificate.
If you have packs and gear please bring along so we can see different styles, this is a great opportunity for those new to trail running to see and discuss. You can share what you like about that particular piece of gear or equipment, even see, feel or try a piece of gear out before you buy.
Plenty of opportunity for Q&A, anything you want to know that hasn't already been mentioned, if you want to know what to do about cramping or sleep deprivation training etc then please make sure you ask.
Even better send me a message beforehand to make sure I cover it for you.
Towel or yoga mat
Wear running gear
Wear or bring trail/running shoes
Your next race goal so we can go through it
Pen and paper if you are a note taker
A little bit more about the presenter and qualified running coach (me)
I have gone from giving up a 2 pack a day smoking habit at the age of 40. Ran my first 5km at 41 and my first marathon at 42 to an elite athlete and setting my first-course record at age 45.
At 48 I became the first and only female to finish the Down Under 135miler in the history of the event and am now considered to be one of Australia's best endurance athlete.
Ultra Trail Gold Coast 500km 1st Female 4th overall
Down Under 135miler 1st Female 3rd overall
Anzac Ultra 150km Solo 1st Female and course record
Buffalo Stampede Grand Slam 1st Female and course record
UTA100 Silver Buckle Finisher
Bilpin Short Course 2nd Female
Bilpin Long Course 3rd Female
Tamworth 45km Ultra 1st Female and course record
Walka 100km Ultra 1st Female and course record
Blackall100km Ultra 5th Female and 10th overall
Dungog half marathon First overall
Surf Coast Century 50km 8th Female 2nd in category
PMB Hardrock 6hr Mountain Bike First Female (pairs event)
Ambassador for Down Under 135miler and Brisbane Trail Ultra 100miler
It was my absolute pleasure to be at the workshop. I wasn't even aware it was the first one, you would never have known.
My short feedback is I loved it, and want to do it again to pick up anything I might have missed. Oh, plus run at Mount Sugarloaf again, it's a pretty nice place to run, you're lucky to have it at your backdoor.
- The presenter knows a lot about trail running, enjoys sharing it with others and is completely down to earth and relatable. I admit to feeling a little bit nervous about meeting you (some people get star struck by celebrities, I get like that about runners I admire, hehe) but I shouldn't have bothered. I thought you were very open, down to earth and made everyone feel included regardless of their ability/experience.
- It was very well organised. The whole day seemed to go pretty seamlessly. There was a lot of material to get through but it was well organised and structured, plus I thought Mel did a great job of keeping everything humming along in the background, she was also very helpful when I asked to see some of the gear during the break.
- It was complete value for money. The caliber of the presenter, the content, handouts, the resistance band, and food made the $65.00 fee complete value for money.
- It's very well suited for all levels of trail runners, including newbies. I'm pretty new to trail running and despite how much I love it I felt very hesitant about it and unsure of myself, even more so after my recent first stack. After the workshop I felt completely fired up and much, much more confident, which I could feel already in my running this morning.
- Very clear information and handouts. I'm a give it to me straight type of person so I enjoyed the frank, no BS way the material was delivered. Handouts were good too, not too many but relevant, informative and the kind I will use/read again.
- There was no hard pressure upsell on gear or programs. On the flip side, I loved how with some things it was don't spend a lot of money on this get it from Kmart/eBay/etc.
- It was fun!
Got lots of great tips and ideas, was very informative.
Thanks for a great day. The amount of information was very valuable and the day was enjoyable despite the mozzies.
Thanks so much for a very informative session today. You provided a lot of valuable information that I could see people gained from.
Seriously- it was good, learnt heaps